The daughter is not entitled to the expenses of the father if she refuses to maintain a relationship with him: SC | India News

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that a daughter would not be entitled to any expenses from her father if she has no relationship with him.
A bench of Judges Sanjay Kishan Kaul and MM Sundresh ruled granting the decree of divorce to a couple due to the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage between the parties.
The Supreme Court ordered the husband to file a fee of Rs 10 lakh as full and final settlement of all claims. The amount must be deposited in this Court within two months and would be returned to the appellant’s ex-spouse. If the amount is not requested for a period of one month from the date of deposit, it will be kept in paid FDR for a period of 91 days to be kept renewed, specified the Supreme Court.
The higher court noted that with respect to the daughter’s expenses for education and marriage, it appears from her approach that she does not wish to have any relationship with the appellant and that she is approximately 20 years.
“She has the right to choose her own path but cannot then demand from the appellant the amount for education. We therefore retain that the girl is not entitled to any amount but while determining the amount to be paid as permanent alimony to the respondent, we always ensure that if the respondent wishes to support the daughter, funds are available,” the Supreme Court said.
A marriage was celebrated between the couple in 1998 according to Hindu rites and a daughter was born in 2001.
The husband asserted that the respondent, the wife, did not reside with the appellant but in her father’s house after his death in December 2002. He then filed a petition for restitution of marital rights under section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955, but the same was dismissed by default in 2004.
The wife alleged that her husband kicked her out of the marital home in October 2004 and demanded a dowry. The daughter has lived with the respondent since birth and therefore the wife filed for divorce.

Comments are closed.