- Trump has “given up” looking for Mar-a-Lago in his personal life, a former campaign official has said.
- Trump could also use the raid as a springboard for his 2024 presidential campaign, sources told NBC News.
- Sources also expressed concern that Trump was not taking the legal threat seriously enough.
Former President Donald Trump may be airing his grievances over the Mar-a-Lago raid on social media, but sources who have recently interacted with him say he’s moved past it and is looking ahead – like in a race for the presidency in 2024.
“He’s already moved on. It’s business as usual for him,” Michael Caputo, a former Trump campaign and administration official, told NBC. Caputo served as assistant secretary for public affairs in the Department of Health and Human Services under Trump.
GOP Rep. Randy Weber of Texas, who had dinner with Trump after the raid, told NBC the former president was “quite miffed, but measured.”
After the FBI searched Trump’s Palm Beach, Florida home and seized 11 sets of classified documents, Trump and other prominent Republicans spoke out against the FBI’s actions, with some even calling for “Defunding the FBI.”
Trump himself has spent much of his time since the raid changing his explanation of the materials that were at Mar-a-Lago and claiming the raid was politically motivated. He even went so far as to claim, without proof, that the FBI had planted evidence at his house.
Meanwhile, the former president is dealing with several state and federal investigations, including an investigation into whether or not the former president interfered in Georgia’s 2020 election.
Behind the scenes, however, sources told NBC that Trump was more determined to announce his 2024 presidential run and was pleased with the millions in donations he had received since the Mar-a-Lago raid. At one point, the former president was getting $1 million a day, The Washington Post reported.
Sources told NBC that Trump could announce his candidacy in November after the midterms, but some also said they were concerned the former president was not taking the legal action against him seriously enough.
“Listen, when I spoke to him, it was a little weird. It was like he didn’t really care about anything that was going on or take it seriously,” an anonymous source close to the newspaper said. president at NBC. “He thinks it’s bullshit.”
A request cover sheet for Trump’s search warrant, unsealed on Thursday, revealed that Trump may be guilty of willfully withholding national defense information, concealing or suppressing government documents and obstructing an investigation. federal.
A lawyer familiar with Trump’s team told Insider’s Sonam Sheth and Camila DeChalus on Friday that they believe Trump could soon face serious criminal charges.
“He should be worried about all these investigations,” the attorney said. “I think he is everyone’s target and I think he will be charged.”
Representatives for Trump did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.