A manhunt for several killers was underway in South Florida after armed men opened fire outside a banquet hall early Sunday, killing at least two people and injuring more than 20, police said.
Shots erupted in the banquet hall at El Mula in northwest Miami-Dade County near Hialeah, police said. The hall had been rented for a concert. Three people exited an SUV and opened fire on the crowd outside, Miami-Dade Police Director Alfredo “Freddy” Ramirez III said.
“I am at the scene of another act of targeted and cowardly armed violence, where more than 20 victims were shot and 2 sadly died,” Ramirez tweeted. “They are cold-blooded murderers who indiscriminately shot a crowd and we will seek justice. My deepest condolences to the families of the victims.”
Who are the victims?
Two people died at the scene, police said. No less than 25 people went to various hospitals for treatment. Family and loved ones gathered outside the Jackson Memorial emergency room awaiting information.
Angelica Green told Local 10 News that her 24-year-old son was shot in the stomach.
“He called us a frenzy, saying he got shot, it hurt and he loves us,” Green said. “He said the guys came with ski masks and hoodies and just started shooting the crowd.”
Has anyone been arrested?
No arrests were immediately announced and police called for help from the community and collected surveillance footage to search for evidence.
The shooting took place about 24 hours after one person was killed and six others injured in a drive-by shooting in Miami’s Wynwood neighborhood, the Miami Herald reported.
“It’s very difficult to stop a small number of people who want to go out there and commit murders, and we all have to stop that,” Ramirez told the newspaper. “We really need to get the job done this summer to keep our kids and our community safe.”
“This type of gun violence must stop. Every weekend it’s the same, ”Ramirez said at an early morning press conference.
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis commented on the shooting on Twitter.
$ 100,000 reward for information
CEO of Camping World and TV personality Marcus Lemonis tweeted that he was offering a $ 100,000 reward “to help authorities in my hometown … arrest and convict suspects.”
Ramirez said police were grateful for the reward offer.
“This is our community, we are stronger together,” said Ramirez. “We need our county to step up its information.”
Contributing: John Bacon, USA TODAY; Associated press